Monday, March 12, 2012

Israel - 6 January 2012

We started off the day with a visit to Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum. It was informative, but not as powerful as I expected - DC's is better. The guided tour was useless - I know all of the information already - and would've preferred to explore on my own. I sense a recurring theme.

Back at the hotel, we had some time to rest and prepare for Shabbat. My first Shabbat in years was interesting... but it was truly special to spend part of it at the Western Wall. It was crowded, busy, hectic, prayerful, calming, and beautiful. Corey, Michael S., and I went into the synagogue to explore. The scene was like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark, except instead of boulders, daggers, and moats, I was dodging daviners, jumping over books, and trying not to knock prayer books down.

Since it was Shabbat, we didn't drive back from the Kotel, so we walked. It was a really relaxing hour walk. When we got back, we had dinner, said the prayers over wine and bread (the only ones I know), and then started drinking. Goldstar is my new favorite beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment