Monday, March 12, 2012

Israel - 4 January 2012

After breakfast, we headed out for a hike at Nachal Og. A beautiful Judean Desert landscape was the perfect environment for a hike. As we walked, F-15s flew over head.







When we left our Kibbutz after seeing an Israeli mechanical cow milking machine, we drove through the West Bank. Jordan was in the distance.



Next we went to Mount Scopus to see Jerusalem from one side, then had lunch at the Haas Promenade where we saw Jerusalem from another angle. Seeing Jerusalem - particularly the Dome of the Rock, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and one of the largest synagogues all within close proximity to each other - while hearing the Muslim call to prayer, was nothing if not powerful.


I've always wanted to enter Jerusalem on a donkey with people laying palm fronds along my path, however a bus playing Hebrew reggae wasn't too bad - the only thing that mattered was that I was entering the Holy City.

First, we went to the main market where I took a million photos, bought some spices, and ate some falafel - yum! Next, we checked into the Leonardo Inn.









After checking in, we got ready for the "Mega" event - a mass gathering of all 2000 or so Birthright folks in Israel at the current moment. The event, marked by terrible and expensive food, propaganda, and campiness galore was, to say the least, an experience. The opening performance was sababa (Hebrew for "cool") and Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu came to speak which was awesome. His bullshitty propaganda was entertaining and slightly disturbing. The four hour event was three and a half hours longer than it should've been.

At the "mega" event, I realized two things: 1) complaining is absolutely the universal Jewish language and 2) Birthright, to me, is like being a caged bird in the Amazon. I love Israel, but I cannot stand the Birthright program. Now don't get me wrong, I've met some great people and am really grateful for this opportunity, but having tour guides is the issue. I'm too much of a free spirit when it comes to traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment