Monday, March 12, 2012

Israel - 2 January 2012

I'm starting off the new year just the way I like it: traveling.

Every Jew aged 18-26 can apply to Birthright - a program that brings us to the Holy Land at the affordable price of free. While I prefer not to travel in a group... It's free, and who can pass that up?

Taking El Al is an experience and a half. Before being issued my ticket, I was interrogated by a future terrifying in-law. "How many people were at your Bar Mitzvah?" "What is your Hebrew name and when did you receive it?" "Did you fast on Yom Kippur?" "What do you want to see in Israel?" Somehow, I passed.

So far I've met a few interesting folks, spending most of my time with Sarah Nagel, Jason Donders, and Corey Regensburg. Most of my fellow trip mates have either never travelled past the Caribbean or never traveled at all.

Many of the other Birthrighters said they're excited to see how other people lived. Perhaps the greatest, and most educational aspect of traveling is in seeing that not everyone lives, thinks, or acts the same as you - that we're not all that dissimilar. Some people eat with a fork, others with chopsticks or their hands, but we all eat. Remembering and realizing our similarities while celebrating and respecting our differences is key to life - what better way to learn this than when traveling?

When I write next, I hope to be gorging on hummus, falafel, and shwarma. Until then, shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment