Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Goes Out With a Bang

December 31, 2012

Holy shit... 2012 is almost gone. This year has been so good to me - started in Israel, I turned 21, wrapped up my presidency of Allied in Pride, did an internship with Peace Corps, worked as a photographer for the Washington Blade, went to Taiwan, started my final year of university, had my longest relationship, did an internship at the State Department, and now I'm in Japan. The very end of this year has been sweet and sour - with me being out of the country when my grandfather passed away. I feel like I had become much closer to him over the last two years, and while I already miss him dearly, I'm trying to remain strong.

My last day of 2012 began at Shin-Osaka Station, where I caught a shinkansen to Tokyo. At the station, I had okonomiyaki and a dirty soy chai latte from Starbucks. I don't think anyone had ever ordered that there, as they were all confused and giggly. Starbucks in Japan works a little differently, where baristas fix a drink almost to completion, and then pass it off to a woman who announced your order with a smile, completes the drink, and puts it into a paper bag with cupholders at the bottom. It's all about ritual here!


After some phone calls home, I boarded my train and looked through my guidebook for what Tokyo has to offer. It took me about two hours to get thorugh all the Tokyo stuff, and by the time I got to the Mt Fuji section, I decided to take a quick break. I closed my book, turned my head toward the window, and standing majestically in the distance was Mt. Fuji. Once again, Japan's top sights don't cease to impress. Wow wow wow. What an inspiring, magical sight.


I found Anne Hostel pretty easily from Asakusabashi station, and got settled in. I went to wash my hands and a Thai girl named Tip asked me what my plans were for New Year's Eve. She invited me to join her and her two friends to go to Tokyo Tower and Zojoji Temple.

The four of us went for dinner - I had tonkatsu - and then made our way to the temple. We lit incense and then walked to Tokyo Tower, which is a rip off of the Eiffel Tower. We went to the observation deck at 150 meters, and hung out there for awhile. I lost them and spent the rest of the night on my own.








I left the observation deck, I watched a live concert on a projector screen with a bunch of people until 11:45pm, and then went outside to the parking lot to watch as the tower showed 2013. There wasn't a countdown, but when it changed, everyone cheered.






Outside Tokyo Tower, I followed a mass of people back to Zojoji and found myself front and center in a Shinto ceremony - complete with chanting, taiko drums, bells, gongs, and incense. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be there, but a few other white people jumped in too. I couldn't take photos, but holy Buddha, what an experience.

From there, I walked around, watching people through coins into a giant pit for good luck, ring bells, and light incense. I got some sake and bought an arrow souvenir - which brings with it good luck and wards off evil spirits (it's a traditional Japanese New Year's purchase).





Cheers to the freakin' New Year!

When I get back, the Thai girls were there in their pajamas - saying they looked all over for me. Oh well.

Hands down the best New Year celebration of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment