Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Walk to Remember

December 27, 2012

My morning started with free coffee at the hostel, followed by a train trip to Arashiyama to see the bamboo groves and Tenryu-ji (dragon temple), which was closed except for the gardens. The bamboo grove was as cool as I expected, and after about 100 photos, I made my way back to the train station via back roads. I watned to get lunch, so I stopped into a small restaurant. A quick look at their menu and I said, 「ええーちょっと高いね。すみません。」("Uhh, it's a little expensive. Excuse me.") They started cracking up, and I bid them adieu. I settled for a convenience store by the station, and got dumplings and onigiri. Even convenience store food is better here.



As I was taking this photo, I could hear someone playing a traditional Japanese flute in the background





On my way back, I got on the wrong train and got off at the next stop. Unfortunately, the only way to get on the other side was to leave and reenter. I walked through the closed gate and went to the other side where there was a grumpy looking old ticket man reading the newspaper. 「すみません。英語が話せますか。」("Excuse me. Can you speak English?") He replied in a very raspy old Japanese man voice, 「話せません!」("I cannot."), and went back to reading his paper. When I switched into Japanese he looked a little surprised. I told him that I got on the wrong train, was coming from Arashiyama, and wanted to get on the next one headed toward Kawaramachi. He took my ticket, stamped it and motioned for me to pass through the gate. When I made it back, I stopped at the electronic store to find an adapter for my three pronged computer cord, but they didn't have one, so I went back to the hostel to ask for directions to Kinkaku-ji (the famed Golden Pavilion).

I got off at the wrong Kinkaku-ji stop, but it was only a block away, so it wasn't really a problem. The stop that I did get off at happened to be right in front of a Catholic Church, so I stopped in to check it out.



Coolest tabernacle ever

Kinkaku-ji was breathtaking. I really don't know what more to say about it. Near the end of the complex, I lit two candles - one in hopes of finding employment, the other on behalf of my friend's mom who is currently suffering from cancer.



From Kinkaku-ji, I took the bus to Ginkaku-ji (silver temple), but they were just about to close so I went for a bowl of ramen instead. I swear to god this ramen was made with crack (and by that I mean pork fat), as it was the greatest tasting thing I've ever had.


As the sun was setting, I walked down the Path of Philosophy - a beautiful path along a stream. On my way through, I glanced at some statues in front of a house, and next to a statue of this ubiquitous raccoon dog thing, I swear I saw a statue of the Mother Mary. I did a double take, but when I looked back it was gone. Weird.



Along the way, I met a crazy cat lady who spoke in a constantly fluctuating voice. She kept repeating,「かわいい。かわいいね〜〜。」("Cute. Aren't they cute!") We chatted for a bit through my broken Japanese, and I moved on.





It was dark by the time I went into a small shop for directions on how to get back, but she told me to go left instead of right at the next corner, and I wound up walking along a highway. A helpful mechanic showed me where we were on a map, and I began to backtrack. Alone on a dark highway, I was incredibly paranoid... Constantly turning back, every sound making me jump. But Japan is so safe that I really had nothing to worry about. I found one of the subway lines (each city has several different lines, including privately owned ones), and asked the ticket guy to help me find a station close to my hostel. Seriously though, thank god I know Japanese. As the train pulled in, a ridiculous traditional Japanese chime rang to indicate it's arrival. I got off at a part of town that I had been at the night before, so I was able to find breathe a sigh of relief and trek back to my hostel. I walked through the shopping arcade, got some coffee, stopped in some bizarre little shops, and picked up fried chicken meat, fried chicken skin, and Sapporo beer.

I felt like a boss. Buddum ching.


Back at the hostel, I went to the lounge and surfed the web while listening in slightly to the conversation next to me between two German girls, a Bulgarian girl, and a British guy (Andrew). I chimed in a few times, and then made my way into the conversation. We all started chatting - they're super cool. The three girls are studying abroad in Japan and the guy is teaching English in Seoul, Korea.

A few others joined in our conversation - a German guy, two Dutch guys, and later another German guy. We talked about everything - including U.S. politics and the recent Newtown massacre. Everyone agreed that the U.S. needs stricter gun laws, and that what we have now is absolutely abhorrent.

Andrew and I went out for more beer - Kirin Lager this time - and after finishing up, we all headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment