Tuesday, January 1, 2013

And So Begins 2013

January 1, 2013

Today was a little more relaxed that I would've liked, but it was still quite pleasant.

Had free breakfast in the hostel, updated my blog, then hung out with a Japanese-Burmese guy I met named Justin.


I had some salmon salad sushi.


Then went to Ikebukuro because I wanted to find Yasukuni-jinju, but it was in another station. I came across some folks performing traditional music outside a shopping center. Japanese music is so soothing, especially in the halls of a hectic subway station.


I went to Shinjuku and walked around - checking out Bic Camera and Uniqlo and stopping for some mushroom gyudon at Sukiya.

Back at the hostel, I changed rooms and then went back to Shinjuku. I went to Uniqlo again, this time with the intention of buying some stuff for Sapporo (it's gonna be freeeeeeeeeeezing), but they closed two hours early (probably because it's New Year's day). Empty handed, I decided to take care of my empty stomach at a ramen shop I saw on my way there.

Ramen is literally the most incredible thing in the universe. Whatever god said that we shouldn't worship false idols clearly never tried some good, real Japanese ramen. (Anyone else just picture Jesus in sweats, eating Cup Noodle?)


On the train back to my hostel, it was near empty until all of a sudden, the doors opened at one stop and a mad rush of females - mostly teens dressed in the latest fashions and middle-aged women dressed like teens dressed in the latest fashions - entered and completely packed us in. Then they all got off at the same stop. Weird.

OH, and I stopped at 7-11 for some strawberry daifuku before I got back. Nom. AND I met some cool Aussies who are off to Hokkaido tomorrow for skiing. And now I'm going to bed. Kbai.

Quick thoughts on Japan:
-Everyone is so polite, the people that pester you on the street with ads will apologize for having bothered you if you don't take one.
-Bowing feels so natural now.
-I have forgotten how to open doors by pushing and pulling... only sliding.
-Public transportation are always so quiet, you can hear a pin drop. No matter how full.

No comments:

Post a Comment