Saturday, January 12, 2013

Home Now, But Here Are Some Sushi Photos

January 12, 2013

I made it home safely, but before I left, I had sushi breakfast at Tsukiji Market. The fish is caught, sold, sliced, and put on your plate that morning. From the sea to your plate.

There is no fresher or better place to get sushi.

I waited in line for 50 minutes to get into Dai Sushi, the most famous restaurant in the market, but hardly budged. I gave up and went elsewhere. It was $40 for the chef's suggestion (7 pieces of nigiri, 6 pieces of maki). And let this cheap Jew tell you... 'twas worth EVERY penny.



In focus: Toro (fatty tuna). One piece goes for ~$10 and was the most beautiful thing I have ever eaten. Basically melts in your mouth.  

In focus/in the middle: Sea urchin 

On the right: Shrimp! (Duh. You knew that.) 

First row of maki is tuna, second ikura (salmon eggs) 


Left to right: Eel, hamachi (I think), octopus, sweet egg

 In focus: Octopus

In focus: Hamachi 

Eel

As usual, thanks to my family for gifting me the flight and the rail pass! I had a frickin' amazing time. Japan is my new favorite country.

No comments:

Post a Comment