Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Little Likeng

Written 6 July 2011.

The Huang Shan bus station took us to the Wuyuan bus station, where we had two orders each of some of the most delicious noodles in China. Then a cab took us to the Wuyuan North bus station, and a small bus took us to a random intersection, from where we walked quite some time to Little Likeng. This quant, insanely picturesque village was the perfect respite from our city hopping adventures.

After finding a room, we got lost in a field of rice paddies. I ditched Michael and Karen, and went 'splorin' on my own.

This place is so beautiful, so rustic, so captivating, that nothing could prevent me from falling in love... not even being whacked in the face with a fishing rod by an angry eight year old.

My adventures brought me past gambling, ducks, the most photogenic candle in the world, happy Buddhas, pepper plants, dried vegetables, intrigued shopkeepers, tight alleyways, reflective rivers, moldy and partially eaten produce, chipped paint, mossy walls, tea shopps, children in assless chaps (they do this instead of diapers), and so much more.

I've never found so much beauty in every inch of a place. I've never sweat so much - and didn't care. I've never eaten so much ice cream - in an effort to cool off. I've never been to a place like this. Off of the more mainstream international tourist route, this town is a true gem in this fast paced country... frozen in time.

Now, I'm off to fall asleep to the sound of toads chirping. Peace.

 Rice paddies as far as the eye can see.

 Putting new meaning to "walking on egg shells"?




Someone needs a Wet One. 


The kid on the left was the one who whacked me in the face with his fishing rod. 




Mmm, tea. 

Mmm, fresh chicken.

PS - And I'm on the bleachers...

No comments:

Post a Comment