Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 4 in Eastern Mongolia: Back to UB

With the van packed, we bid adieu to the family, and hit the road (or should I say the dirt and grass).

We drove to a little town and were introduced to a new batch of horses. My horse, whom I named Nebraska, didn't care much for me... and the feeling was mutual. Horses, while elegant and playful to look at, are a pain to ride (quite literally). Upon our arrival in Bagan National Park, I was excited to use my own two legs and jumped off the horse with a bruised bum and ego. After a picnic lunch, we went to a Buddhist temple that was partially rebuilt after being completely destroyed by the Soviets, and then we visited a natural history museum. The u-shaped, one roomed building was full of the creepiest taxidermy of all time.




Back in the van, we made our way towards Ulan Bator, where we were relieved to finally shower (thank God for running water!) We had dinner with Tommi before he had to run to his train to Irkutsk. The rest of the evening was full of rest and relaxation, as we become re-acclimated to civilization.
PS - Three weeks down.

No comments:

Post a Comment